We absolutely love new ways of making traditional, hearty dishes healthier plant-based ones, and are very proud of this swap! Instead of ground beef and hours of preparation, we've swapped soaked Karma Nuts Raw Jumbo Cashews and a one-pot prep for this cozy casserole. Super easy with tons of leftovers, it's a perfect weekday meal!
What You'll Need:
- Olive Oil
- 1 jar Karma Nuts Raw Jumbo Cashews, soaked and chopped
- 1 large sweet or yellow onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 large carrot, shredded
- 1 large head of cabbage, shredded (or you can buy the prepped bags of cabbage and carrots - saves time!)
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp crushed red pepper (optional)
- 28 oz can diced tomatoes
- 15 oz can tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup vegetable broth or water
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- salt & pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Add 1-2 tbsp oil to a large pot over medium heat.
- Toss in chopped onion and garlic, saute until translucent.
- Add thyme, paprika, red pepper, and cinnamon; stir.
- Pour in diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, and broth/water - stir.
- Add chopped cashews and mix in completely.
- Bring mixture to a boil.
- Add in cabbage and carrot, mixing in well. Salt & pepper to taste.
- Cover and cook for around 15 minutes, or until desired consistency.
- Add in rice.
- Pour mixture into prepped casserole pan.
- Bake in oven for 10-15 minutes covered with aluminum foil, then 10-15 uncovered to get all of the flavors baked in.